Janis VPF Series Cryostat Systems
Sample in Vacuum
Simple and inexpensive, VPF cryostats provide a variable temperature sample environment with no valves or adjustments required. Designed with versatility in mind, the VPF cryostat is field-upgradeable with additional feedthroughs, windows, or sample holders if experimental requirements change. Models for operation to 500 K, 700 K, or 800 K are available.
The Janis VPF cryostat is an inexpensive liquid nitrogen cryostat offering operating temperatures from 65 K to 800 K. Simple to use and refill, the VPF system uses a refill style displacer assembly and built-in heater to provide variable temperature capability. Temperatures below 77 K are achieved using an optional pumping manifold. High temperature capability is provided using special sensors and heaters.
For more information please visit Lake Shore Cryotronics
Access to the sample compartment is provided by a quick disconnect clamp. Samples are mounted in a 3 in diameter vacuum space (2.5 in for VPF-800) and can be connected with cryogenic-service wiring (single conductor or coaxial). The four-way optical sample chamber (with a numeric aperture of 1.0) can be configured for reflectance or transmission measurements. Standard windows are fused natural quartz offering transmission from the UV to near-IR regions. Optional window materials can be installed to span the far/mid- IR, VUV, and x-ray regions for a variety of spectroscopic measurements. The refill assembly permits refilling of the LN2 reservoir without affecting the controlled temperature.
Typical applications for the VPF include spectroscopy (photoluminescence, FTIR, UV- visible), materials characterisation (resistivity, Hall effect), as well as low- temperature imaging, microscopy, and component testing. Low cost, light weight, and portability make the VPF the ideal cryostat for multipurpose laboratories, demonstrations, and integration with existing instrumentation. VPF-100 and VPF-800 models are in stock for fast delivery to your site.
Custom configurations may be fabricated to fit restricted spaces (such as in a magnet system or spectrometer) or to allow the insertion of very large samples (such as semiconductor wafers or “cold plates” to cool several samples at once).
- Fused quartz windows
- 4-way optical access (f = 1.0)
- Si diode thermometer and heater (thermocouple for VPF-800)
- Electrical feedthrough for thermometry
- Optical sample holder
- Refill assembly for continuous operation
- Complete system test
- Complete selection of ancillary equipment including temperature controllers, pumping stations, and storage Dewars
- Electrical measurement packages (sample holders, wiring, and feedthroughs)
- Pumping manifold for <77 K operations (see Other configurations)
- Sample holder for DLTS (see fixed probe sample holder in Other configurations)
- Additional bottom warm window port and quartz window
- Special adaptor for use with SuperTran liquid helium transfer line (see Other configurations)
- Specially modified window block with large window as an option